Wednesday 20 August 2008

Shopping in London: Repetto 60 Ans

It’s all about tulle, tutus and tortured toes at Dover Street Market right now, and I couldn’t stay away for a second (OK, I made it over there yesterday).

Repetto design by Rei Kawakubo, Comme des Garcons.

I was there to check out Repetto’s 60 Ans exhibition, which opened in London on Monday. The iconic French ballet shoe company has just turned 60, and to celebrate they invited 60 sparkling luminaries from the worlds of dance, film, art, fashion and design to customise a pair of ballet shoes.

Bardot ‘Strass Rouge’ – limited and individually numbered by Repetto.

I’m not sure that I saw the entire line-up – perhaps they’re showing different designs over the exhibition period – but highlights included Vanessa Beecroft’s blood-spattered white leather flats (she got murderous with some thick red paint), and a French ballerina’s satin pointe shoes that had been hand-embroidered with a charming pas-de-deux design. By contrast, Carla Bruni’s silver star and moon design looked positively bland.

There’s also a line-up of customised tutus and leotards, including Rei Kawakubo’s flirty and fun French-maid version with a shorter white ‘apron’ frill over a longer black skirt. It also plays with the difference between the classic shorter tutu and the romantic mid-calf version.

Repetto design by Rei Kawakubo, Comme des Garcons.

My only (tiny) complaint was that at times it was difficult to discern who actually designed what, as the labels were attached to each shoe and often tucked underneath. And a good sprinkling of “Do not touch” signs made me reluctant to turn them over. I would have loved to have seen the shoes designed by Chloë Sevigny and Kim Gordon.

All designs in 60 Ans will be auctioned in October, with proceeds going to Unesco to fund select educational establishments.

Repetto 60 Ans
Monday 18th August to Saturday 13th September
Dover Street Market
17-18 Dover St,
London W1
Tel: 020 7518 0680

Opening hours:
Monday to Saturday 11am-6pm
Thursday 11am-7pm

Nearest tube: Green Park

Click here for more shops in Mayfair.
Click here for a Wee Birdy map.
All images courtesy of Dover Street Market.

2 comments:

Make Do Style said...

Oh I love tutus and repetto - having bought a few cheap pumps I've decided not to do it anymore and go for teh real mccoy - love the limited dition red ones. Must make the effort to go see!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love Repetto...I so badly want a pair of their flats.

I've only seen them in DJ's here...very limited stock and of course, at marked up prices!

How funny that Carla Bruni's design was bland...I always think of her as so colourful :)